North Korea Confirms Kim Jong Un’s New Missile Launch, Releases Photos | world news
North Korea has confirmed that it has tested its largest intercontinental ballistic missile, under the supervision of Kim Jong Un.
He was present during the start and was pictured smiling and cheering as he watched from an observation deck.
State media said on Friday that the launch of the Hwasong-17 was directly guided by the north korean leader.
He said the country would continue to develop a “nuclear war deterrent” as it prepares for a “longstanding confrontation” with the United States.
On Thursday, the Japanese Coast Guard said that North Korea launched the projectile, South Korea called the launch a “clear violation” of UN Security Council resolutions.
The “new type” of ICBM would be the largest in North Korea to date and marks the end of the self-imposed ban on long-range testing, which has been in place since 2017.
The missile reportedly flew 677 miles (1,090 km) at a maximum altitude of 3,882 miles (6,248 km) and hit a target in the sea between North Korea and Japan.
The rocket, which was revealed at a military parade last year, could hit targets 9,320 miles (15,000 km) away when fired on a normal trajectory, putting the American continent within range. strikes – with most of the world.
The North Korean leader ordered the launch in part because of “the daily escalation of military tensions in and around the Korean Peninsula” and the “longstanding confrontation with US imperialists accompanied by the danger of nuclear war”, the official KCNA news agency said. noted.
He quoted him as saying the new weapon would make the “whole world clearly aware” of North Korea’s nuclear capabilities and reported that he had sworn his military would acquire “tremendous military and technical capabilities undisturbed by any military threat and any blackmail”.
The Hwasong-17 is the largest liquid-fueled missile ever launched by a country from a road-mobile launcher, analysts said, adding that North Korea’s goal is to force the United States to to accept as a nuclear power and to lift the sanctions which have paralyzed its economy. .
North Korea last tested an ICBM in November 2017, sparking a verbal exchange of war threats with then-US President Donald Trump.
Read more: North Korea’s rocket launch is a ‘clear violation’ of UN resolutions
North Korean missile ends in failure as it ‘explodes in mid-air’
In response to the latest launch, South Korea responded with live-fire exercises of its own missiles from land, sea and air.
US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin called his counterparts in South Korea and Japan and discussed a response to the launch.
The Japanese foreign minister met with his South Korean counterpart and agreed to strengthen bilateral cooperation.
Read more: US believes intercontinental ballistic missiles were launched by Pyongyang
Satellite images appear to show new activity at North Korea’s former nuclear test site
“Regardless of North Korea’s intention, the North should immediately suspend any action that creates tension on the Korean peninsula and destabilizes the regional security situation and return to the table of dialogue and negotiations,” a doorman said. -speaker of Seoul’s Unification Ministry, which handles inter-Korean relations. Korean business.
The White House condemned the latest launch from North Korea and called it a “brazen violation” of several UN Security Council resolutions.